Fencing FAQs

What type of warranty is provided with my fence installation?

R&C Fence provides a one-year workmanship warranty, covering labor and/or material issues up to one-year from the final installation date. This warranty does not cover damage from abuse, misuse or improper handling of the fence product by the homeowner within the first year. Beyond the one-year workmanship warranty, manufacturers may provide additional limited warranty coverage. These warranties will vary depending on the product. Most manufacturer warranties are limited in nature and will not cover misuse, abuse, acts of nature, etc. The manufacturer’s warranty document provides in-depth information regarding coverage and exclusions.


Do I need to obtain a permit to install my fence?

An “Improvement Location Permit” is required within the city limits of Fort Wayne and Allen County for any fence installation. Permits are obtained through the Department of Planning Services, located at the Citizens Square Building in room 150. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to obtain any permits. Upon request, we will obtain the permit for you for a nominal charge.

If you are outside of Allen County, check with your local authorities to determine what the requirements are for obtaining a permit.  Given the numerous city and county requirements throughout Northeast Indiana, we are not able to track and be aware of all the permit ordinances.

Also, check your subdivision covenants for any restrictions or requirements for a fence; for example, some subdivisions have architectural committees that must approve the design, location and style of fence.


Are there any height restrictions for my fence?

Building codes within the City of Fort Wayne limit the height of a fence to 7’ high. If you are outside the city limits, check with your local authorities to determine if there are any restrictions.


Do I need to have my underground utilities marked before the fence is installed?

We will take care of having all Indiana public underground utilities marked before coming to the job site to start digging. R&C Fence will contact Indiana 811 to request an underground locate/marking for public lines only.  However, you are responsible for contacting the utility company to mark any private lines installed on your property.


What is the difference between PUBLIC and PRIVATE utilities?

Public Utilities are those underground lines installed and managed by the public utility companies.  For example, AEP, NIPSCO, Comcast, Verizon, and NE REMC are public utility lines.

Private Utility lines are those installed by the homeowner and not by a public utility company.  This includes, but is not limited to, private gas lines for a grill, private street light lines, electrical line to another building, sprinkler systems, and/or drain tiles.  The homeowner is responsible to properly mark all private utility lines so we are aware of the location when we are digging.


Do you install fences during the winter?

While it becomes more difficult, we do continue to install fences throughout the winter, depending on the depth of the snow and frost line.  A temperature above 40° is required to install Vinyl fencing.